Monday, July 21, 2014

Gulf Coast Blues

 Remember these bobbins?


 Now they are a skein of yarn. That grungy stuff behind it is what I started with. That's some stinky old Gulf Coast fleece.


 I thought things were going along pretty well. As nasty as the fleece was, and as lumpy as the batts were, I was pleased with the skein.


 Then I soaked it and noticed all the dye that was bleeding out. Arghh....wasn't I just admiring my dye job? Too soon, my friends, too soon.


After another wash, a good twack and some sunshine it dried a bit lighter in color and I do believe the bleeding stopped. Now I have to wonder what's going to happen with the other batts I dyed at the same time that I am currently spinning. This should be fun.

5 comments:

  1. Turquoise is always a trickster dye. Needs a longer steaming time--and even then sometimes it will bleed a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that Gulf Coast fleeces can be a hard fleece to clean up but nice to see how great they turn out! I find that turquoise is one of the hardest colors to get to rinse out (also red) but it is still very, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try heat setting the finished yarn - Put it in a pot, or microwaveable dish with water and vinegar and heat it.
    If you're doing it on a pot on the stove, about 10 minutes at med heat should do it. In the microwave, do 3 minutes on high. Do this three times with about a minute or two rest in between.
    We've had to do it with a couple of skeins (usually red or black ones) that just don't want to rinse clear after dying. Some colours are just tougher than other - turquoise can be a bad one.

    ReplyDelete